I'm pleased to pass along another piece written by a friend and colleague. This one is by physicist and rail advocate Dr. Yuri Popov, in which he has collected information about rail projects scheduled to come into service in 2017. Here it is...
Following the two major openings in the first days of 2017 - four new subway stations in New York City on January 1st and two new light rail stations in Houston today - more openings are coming this year. Below you can find a (possibly incomplete) list of urban and suburban rail projects opening for service this year in the U.S. and Canada. The list does NOT include reconstructions and rehabilitations of existing facilities; it includes new infrastructure only. If you have any additions or corrections, please voice them! If you could clarify the expected opening dates/months in the second part of the list, this would be greatly appreciated as well.
- January - Arthur Kill SIR station (New York)
- Winter - Warm Springs/South Fremont BART station (San Francisco)
- Spring - streetcar Q line (Detroit)
- May - Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (San Francisco)
- May - Loop Trolley (St. Louis)
- Summer - Brightline regional rail (Miami - West Palm Beach)
- August - Northeast extension of the light rail Blue line (Charlotte)
- Fall - Milpitas and Berryessa BART stations (San Francisco)
- Late 2017 - 6-station TTC (subway) extension to Vaughan Centre (Toronto)
- Late 2017 - Downsview Park transfer station between TTC and GO (Toronto)
Some time in 2017:
- Line G (Denver) Line R (Denver)
- Washington/Wabash CTA station (Chicago)
- Bob Hope Airport/Hollywood Way Metrolink station (Los Angeles)
- San Bernardino Transit Center Metrolink station (Los Angeles)
- Potomac Shores VRE station (Washington [D.C.])
And while we are at it, there will be a number of Amtrak / intercity rail projects (mostly funded by Obama's 2010 stimulus package) coming to fruition this year:
- Marks, MS, new station
- Roanoke, VA, new station and service extension (Fall)
- Lincoln corridor major upgrade
- Piedmont corridor major upgrade (Fall)
- Cascades corridor major upgrade (Fall)
- Wolverine corridor major upgrade (November)
Please feel free to correct this list, add to it, or report delays.
Thanks, Yuri - helpful and encouraging!